Thursday, January 10, 2008

Firefox loading blank pages

I had been facing this weird firefox problem for quite a few days in my linux box (Ubuntu 7.04 - the Feisty Fawn). After connecting to my ISP and browsing for few minutes suddenly all the URL requests were ending up in blank pages. Earlier I thought this was a problem with my ISP. But when I noticed that messenger and all the command-line tools (wget, lynx etc.) were working fine I understood that actual problem was something else. Considering the presence of some bug I first tried to upgrade the firefox (v2.0.08 to v2.0.0.11). Unfortunately this didn't solve the problem. I tried analyzing the http response headers using wget but couldn't gain much. Ultimately I had to resort to lynx with yahoo search as google was also dying with "400 Bad Request" message. After one or two attempts I got its solution in a forum. The problem was occurring with the pages responding with http 302 status. Some people also mentioned to experience the same problem with pages using script based redirection. Anyhow, the reason for this was attributed to some buggy firefox extension. With this knowledge it was easy to resolve the problem. Trying disabling each firefox extension one by one. I was too desperate to fix the issue ASAP, so I disabled all the extensions in one go. Voila! it worked and everything restored back to normal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yesterday I found a bug with firefox v2.0.0.12. It's a common practice among web developers to use FireBug for tracing the style definitions.
If you mark carefully, firebug behaves diferently for v2.0.0.11 and v2.0.0.12. It doesnot show the style definitions for 'a' tag(link) when used with firefox v2.0.0.12 .
Now I am not sure whether to say it's a bug with firefox-v2.0.0.12 or with firebug extension. :)

Chetan Thapliyal said...

The same problem has been reported by many other users. It seems to be a bug in Firebug. Try upgrading to firebug-1.1 beta which seems to have resolved this issue. For further reference you can look at http://groups.google.com/group/firebug/browse_thread/thread/e7f658343e459453?hl=en